High-tech technology in mobile phones at competitive prices, has made smartphones a viable option for the all.
So how’s is it that a relatively small device loaded with technology has made itself so very important to all of us?
Well, the answers to suchquestions are quitesimple: It has managed to bring people across the globe to be connected at the simple touch of a button; it gives instant information and also helps to keep one entertained.
But like each piece of technology, mobile technology has also come a long way -from the once large and heavy hand held devices, to today’s suave, light-weighted yet feature loaded, high speed connectivity enabled 4G mobile phones, the road for technological advances seems never-ending. It’s an ever evolving process in which the biggest challenge is to make the next device better than the previous installment.
Mobile Phones: A brief history
- The mobile phones can be classified into 4 generations till date – OG, 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G mobile phones.
- The first truly useable handheld device, via which calls could be made, was developed in 1973 and it represented the Zero Generation (0G) mobile phone technology.
- Post this, in 1983, the first mobile was approvedand represented the First Generation (1G) phones with fully automatic cellular networks.
- After this, technology related to phones started advancing every year. The Second Generation (2G) phones were the ones where the first SMS was sent along with the arrival of data services on phones.
- Third Generation (3G) phones were launched in 2001, and offered better connectivity with features such as enabling video calling and better speeds.
- Fourth Generation (4G) mobiles phones were introduced in 2012 giving customers superfast connectivity and speedy downloads.
Difference between 3G and 4G Mobile Phones
The main and underlining difference between 3G and 4G mobile phones is that 4G speeds are 10 times faster than 3G. Hence better network speeds means better connectivity and more media can be exchanged between consumers. It is like having a personalized broadband on your phone, which makes life way easier and fast paced, in tune with today’s generation.
Features of Fourth Generation (4G) Mobile Phones
- It offers speeds between the range of 2MBPS and 1GBPS.
- It uses a Unified IP and seamless combination of broadband services.
- It gives its users dynamic access to information.
- Provides users to access information on the go using wearable devices.
- Multiple access is enabled via CDMA.
- It has horizontal and vertical handoff.
- Average speeds on 4G networks are 12-15 Mb/second.
- Upload speeds on an average are 11 Mb/second.
Benefits of 4G Mobile Phones
- Excellent voice calls clarity
- Improved continuous internet connectivity.
- High speed downloads
- Simplified usage
With technology constantly evolving, 4G is definitely not the last connectivity milestone to have been achieved; 5G mobile phones are just around the corner, which would provide bandwidth above 1GBPS and even higher network speeds. It would also include multiple access via BDMA along with CDMA.